Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Baby Surprise Jacket

A good friend of mine and one of our fellow knitters is expecting her first child in the coming weeks. As a group we decided on knitting sweaters for the little bundle of joy. I settled on the classic Baby Surprise Jacket because it is a very nice sweater for either a boy or a girl, and I have always been intrigued by the construction. Unfortunately since I had to finish the sweater so quickly I never documented how the darn thing goes together.


DSC_0534

I went with fun bright colors what would work with either a boy or a girl since they do not know what they are having. I knew going in that I wanted to have really fun buttons on this sweater and was lucky enough to find some turtles that went well.

DSC_0535

I knit this as written with Shibui Knits Sock yarn. Instead of the knitted i-cord edging I did a simple chain stitch with the closest crochet hook I could find near me at that time in a contrasting yarn. I tried to do a knitted on i-cord edge but it didn’t look right to me. I’m pretty bad with sizing so I would say that this is a newborn sized sweater, but the fabric is very stretchy so I imagine that it would grow a bit with the baby.

The Momma loves it, and I have been promised photos of baby in the finished sweater once he or she arrives.

2 comments:

juicyknits said...

Oh,this is so adorable! Each time when I see a cute BSJ I promise myself to have another go at the pattern. Yours is über-cute. Love it!

Sarah said...

It looks awesome! Great job. This is a pattern that I've had my eye on for awhile - someday I am definitely going to make it. Did you use the original version or the updated version?