Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The little blue elephant in the room

My father often reminds me that his mother knit and crocheted all the time; in fact I do remember when visiting them in their cramped home in Whitestone that Nanny always had some kind of project out on the couch. In all those years she must have shown me a stitch or two although I did not have the desire to pick it up at those times. She passed away several years ago before any great grandchildren were born. Recently my cousin, one of her grandchildren recently had a baby boy with his wife. It was over heard at the baby shower that when he saw something that my mom had crocheted for the new bundle of joy that he wished that Nanny was still alive because his new son would be covered in handmade items. This past weekend was this child’s baptism and I felt that I needed to mark this special occasion with something that he would cherish for a long time. I was searching for that perfect pattern to knit; in the end I decided that instead of something for him to wear I would create a little plaything that he would carry around and cuddle to help him sleep at night. I wanted to create that special friend that he could whisper all his secrets, a friend that would share in his adventures.

I presented the new parents this little guy:
Elijah
Pattern: Elijah by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Bernat Softee Baby Solids & Marls Colorway 02002 (Pale Blue)
Started: April 17
Finished: May 1

I loved making this guy so much although I believe that I was knitting him a bit to tight because there would be times that I felt as if someone punched me in the arm and my hands would cramp terribly. He was a quick little knit, something that I left in my car and knitted while on breaks. In fact I have decided to make him again for a shower that I will be attending in June. This time I will make him gray with little blue feet.

No comments: