Despite the fact that I’ve been ill on and off for two and a half months I have managed to get some knitting done. I am trying to knit at least one pair of socks in one of the three Project Spectrum colors for each of the elements. The months of February and March was designated FIRE, focusing on reds, oranges and pinks. Within this color scheme I was able to finish three pairs of socks:
A basic toe up short row heel sock knitted from my very own handspun. These socks, bumpy and rustic were my favorite to knit because they allowed me to see the transformation of fiber into yarn and finally into something wearable. It pleases me to no end knowing that I was involved in almost all the steps to create this piece. The yarn was spun from Spunky Eclectic’s Superwash Merino in the colorway “Ravelry.” I thought it was very appropriate to have my first knitted piece in the “Ravelry” colorway since Ravelry armed me with enough information to start spinning.
The next pair was knitted as a gift for my mom’s birthday out of Socks that Rock Silkie in Hard Rock. She picked the color and yarn while I decided on Charade, a pattern that I felted would ever so slightly break up the stripes.
The final pair I knitted in the last two weeks of March in anticipation of going down to D.C. for the Cherry Blossom Festival. The pattern is Merino Lace Socks from My Favorite Socks, in Fleece Artist Sea Wool “Rose.” I had started this pattern a while back using Socks that Rock in Midsummer’s Night but didn’t think that the combination of the dark yarn and pretty lace pattern worked. I love the way that the pink makes the lace look more delicate.
I couldn’t spin much these past few months but I did manage to spin up some beautiful Superwash Merino/Tencel blend in “Walking on the Sun” from Spunky Eclectic with my new Very Fast Flyer that my sweetie gave to me for Valentine’s Day. I have begun to knit this up into the Woodland Shawl by the Thrifty Knitter. It was hard to find a pattern for only 470 yards (4 oz) of lace weight yarn, but I finally settled on this pattern because the yarn and leaves together remind me of what I always pictured the leaves of the Mallorn Tree in Lothlorien would look like.
My E.A.R.T.H. plans are less ambitious because surprisingly I lack the colors green, brown and metallic.