Thursday, January 24, 2008

40 years or Momma told me there would be days like this

It is cold and gray outside which makes me long for the days spent at Binghamton University what seems like eons ago. The few days that I have had off this past week were spent under blankets with kitties, tea and knitting or spinning, watching one of my favorite detectives. I don’t mind my tendencies towards being a hermit; after dealing with a practically rough week answering what should be obvious, and I mean blindly obvious, questions I don’t need to see more people, especially when they ask me stupid questions. Before you say that there are no stupid questions, there are those questions where you have to fight the urge to smack them and ask ‘Have you been living under a rock all your life?’ As a children’s librarian I understand and am okay with children asking me questions because they are young and are just learning; however when an adult asks me whether or not Martin Luther King Junior was African American I just stare blankly and wonder where this person has been. What kills me inside just a little is what a colleague of mine pointed out, I will be eligible for retirement at 65, I did the math, and since I turn 25 in a few weeks I have 40 years to truly learn how ignorant people can be about the world around them. That night I called a friend I met in Library School to tell her my little story because I knew she would get a laugh. I mentioned that 40 years was a long time, people have wandered the desert for that amount of time looking for the promise land. She replied that it would be all worth it in the end, to which I reminded her that Moses never made it there… she laughed.

All dramatics aside, I do enjoy what I do and find it very rewarding. However those of you who have the pleasure to work with the public understand that there are just days like that where it is hard to see the silver lining in it all.

While I do love the gray days, it does make it hard to photograph your hand knits. What makes it even harder is the fact that I haven’t been home during daylight (gray or not) hours for quite some time. I was finally able to photograph a pair of socks that I finished a few weeks ago.
Waving lace
Waving Lace

Pattern: Waving Lace Socks by Evelyn A. Clark from Favorite Socks
Yarn: Crystal Palace Yarns Panda Wool Print in Rosewater sent to me by my sockapalooza pal
Needles: US1 2.25 DPN set of 5.
Modifications: I only knitted two repeats on the leg instead of three because I was afraid that I may run out of yarn and I nearly did.
Started: August 2007 on my way down to D.C.
Finished: January 2008.

I was never big on pink growing up but lately I love this color, I have also found that I get a lot of compliments when I wear pink. These socks remind me of Cherry Blossoms which is why I grabbed this yarn to knit on my way down to D.C. I am hoping that maybe this year we can get away for the weekend to see our friend and walk the streets admiring the beautiful cherry blossoms. I have never knit with a bamboo mix, while I found the yarn to split if I wasn’t playing attention, I really love the way the dye took to the yarn. The Bamboo provides such a lovely sheen and takes the dye a little lighter than the wool.

1 comment:

Macoco said...

I guess you could look at it as you have 40 years to spread knowledge to the public. ;)

Those socks are fantastic. I'm not into pink so much either, but they're such a great shade. They almost have a hint of orange or sherbet to them.