Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Hats*

Now that the calendar says September I’m looking forward to the cooler weather and warm hand knits. So to celebrate the coming fall I knitted this up before we went to DC:

DSC03435.JPG


DSC03432.JPG
(It is very hard taking pictures of yourself.)

Pattern: Red Light Special by Jared of Brooklyntweed
Yarn: Knit Picks Telemark in Chesnut, Skyline, Colonial Blue and Icicle.
For the lining, Knit Picks Shine Sport in Sky.
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace in US1 and Knit Picks US 3 circular.

This was a very quick knit for me and I enjoyed every moment of it. I love the feel of the Shine Sport on my ears and forehead which are usually really sensitive to wool. Originally the background color was going to be Navy but it knitted up too similar to Skyline, you couldn’t distinguish the pattern. So I ordered Chestnut and Icicle to replace Navy and Alpine Frost. I’m really happy with the colors.

I’ve also dug this out of hibernation and have been plugging away in hopes to finish it before the weather turns:

DSC03633

This is the back of Urban Aran Cardigan, another item I saw at Brooklyntweed and fell in love with! I just casted on for the front last night; I’m knitting both pieces at once to keep them even. The yarn, Elann Peruvian Highland Chunky Wool is nice to work with. I find it very soft and squishy; it also knits up pretty fast. I’ve added an extra stitch on both sides for the seam, and in the front I split it where the p2 divides the cable panels while adding a knit and slipped stitch to hide the zipper. I think I might add a double sided zipper, other people seem to have had success with it so if I can find one I’ll add it.

Since my mind is on sweaters lately there are two that I have been itching to buy the wool for, Cobblestone(yes another Jared’s pattern) and Tangled Yoke Cardigan by Eunny Jang. Maybe when payday rolls around I’ll purchase the yarn for Cobblestone; Scott has been asking for a sweater and he really likes the MacAllistar Orange that is on sale at Webbs.

*Okay I’m stretching the Rent lyric here, they do sing hats in “Christmas Bells” but you wouldn’t know that’s where I took this from unless I told you.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Pretty hat! It looks like you're getting ready for cold weather! I know the feeling... all I want to knit right now is sweaters :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! The hat is beautiful. Love the colors.

The sweater is pretty, too. There's just something about grey that I adore.