Wednesday, March 30, 2011

KCBW Days 1 and 2...I'm late to the party

Day One Tale of Two Yarns:Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

Love

When I first started to knit and explore knitting blogs I used Januaryone’s Jaywalking KAL to learn how to knit socks. It was through this knit along that I began lusting after Socks that Rock. I just loved the colorways and couldn’t wait to get my hands on some for myself. Five years later it is still my go to yarn for socks. I just love the feel, the way it holds up, and how many weights in comes in. It was my go to yarn for the beautiful blanket I knitted.

365 Reject


This past year was the first that I really knitted with Malabrigo, I love the softness and colors.  I found this season though that it is suited for certain projects but not others.  It pills and felts a bit too much for my taste.
Cabled Cowl

With the denser gauge it is perfect for my cabled cowl.

DSC_0268
However I do not like the way it looks in my Tilting Tardis cowl.  The yarn fulled a bit too much for the lace to really stand out.


Day Two:Skill + 1UP
Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?
After knitting many pairs and single socks over the years I have finally allowed myself to make up a pair on the fly.  
DSC_0493
I even completed a short row heel, which I normally dread doing and avoid at all costs.  It really wasn't as scary as I thought, and the socks are one of my favorite pairs.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I've been loving everyone's yarn reviews and skill progress, it's so neat to read! I have (shamefully) never used Socks that Rock, but your glowing recommendation is going to motivate me to check them out!