Thursday, March 31, 2011

KCBW Day 4

Day Four: Where are they now?
My poor Bird in Hand mittens and koolhaas...
Bird in hand


365:140


Now this is a sad knitting story.  Back in 2008 I knitted my first pair of colorwork mittens and I loved them dearly.  I did wear them from January through March that year and again in November.  Later that year I pushed to finish Koolhaas before we went to Chicago in November and wore them both proudly through the cold Chicago streets.  A few weeks after that trip my husband, our two good friends and I were hit head on by a wrong way drunk driver.  My husband broke his wrist, our friends had whiplash, and I broke my collarbone; we were very lucky that was all that happened.  I was wearing both my mittens and hat at the time and realized while being loaded into the ambulance that one mitten was laying on the ground with my hat in a puddle of car fluid.  I asked someone to grab them but I guess emergency services don't really see hand knits as important as a knitter does.  When Scott went to grab our stuff from the car the next day he could only find one mitten and my fluid soaked hat.  I tried to wash the fluid out of the hat but it shrank and no long fits.  My one mitten is tucked somewhere waiting for the day that I knit another one. 



2 comments:

juicyknits said...

What a story! Great that nothing worse happened and too bad for those lost knits in the process...

Misty said...

Wow, I'm glad you were all okay. It's such a sad feeling when you loose a mitten (and hat!). I can only imagine it's worse when it was a colorwork one because it takes twice as long to make. I hope you make another soon.

Misty
www.crochetyourway.com