Wednesday, September 08, 2010

A spinning good time

I’ve been in a knitting slump all summer and I’m not sure why. The weather has been brutally hot and despite having the central air on at all times I just can’t seem to pick up anything to knit. I am also seriously behind on my 10 shawls in 2010 with a grand total of three. I have three more on the needles and one waiting to be frogged. I have been spinning up a storm though, 2,773.5 yards this summer alone, and a grand total of 4,786 yards for the year! I tried something new this time around and really played with color. I have been lusting over some Raveler’s handspun yarn that shifted colors and wanted to try it myself. I took this merino/bamboo from All Spun Up

All spun up

I separated the colors progressing from really light, to dark green and spun them up. The end results are exactly what I wanted to achieve.  700 yards

DSC_1019



DSC_1014

I’ve also tried my hand at spinning a thicker weight yarn. 143 yards

polworth

I n-plied this Polwarth from All Spun Up with hopes of making a light worsted weight yarn. It is thick and thin in places and no where near perfect but it should make some nice wrist warmers.

I spin some yarn for socks for Scott:

Socks that Rock Sheep 2 Shoe

This is n-plied Blue Moon Fiber Arts Sheep 2 Shoe kit in Sockgate2 I think, 511.5 yards.

I also spun up some merino/soysilk from PigeonRoof Studios in “Plumeria” 745 yards

Pigeon Roof

I found the soysilk to be very sticky and hard to draft so I predrafted the entire roving before spinning. After I washed the skein the fibers softened up a bunch and should knit into something soft and lovely.

My favorite has to be this merin/tencel from Poppy Flower Fiber, 674 yards

Yum

lace!

I really wanted to get closer to 1000 yards but I'll settle for the evenness of the yarn and the beautiful drape it has.  This will make a really lovely Red Dragon Shawl.

 Now my fingers are itching to spin up some of the merino/bamboo/silk that I have stashed.

3 comments:

knottygnome said...

all the yarns are pretty but i love that gradient yarn. it makes me want to get out my spinning wheel.

Julie said...

wow, gorgeous yarns! that last one really is incredible.

juicyknits said...

That variegated one - green and white - is a true dream. Truly impressive that you've spun it yourself!