Friday, June 19, 2009

2009 the year of lace?

It is no secret that I love to spin lace weight yarns. They take a long time and some concentration but every time I sit down at the wheel I want to spin thinner and thinner. I am constantly challenging myself to get more yardage from a mere 4 ounces. This desire either fuels or is fueled by my love of knitting lace. Don’t you think that everyone needs a lace shawl or ten? How about one in every color? Maybe it is time to start a lace revolution! Do you work in an office with an overly aggressive air conditioner? Grab a shawl. Do you want to add a splash of color to your outfit? Throw on a shawlette.

To round out the teal/blue part of the spectrum I began spinning this in early March.
DSC_0157.JPG

4oz of Merino/Bamboo “Into a Cerulean Sky” from Gnome Spun Yarns

Which quickly turned into this
YIP 3.20.09

Then into this
YIP 4.06.09

724 yards at 33 WIP

This yarn was destined to become Laminara from the start. I started on April 6th and by the 18th it was completed.

Laminaria

It is a bit smaller than I wanted but I love it just the same. The only thing I will do differently next time I knit this (and there will be a next time, and handspun once again) I will go up a needle size for the star chart to make the stitches open a bit more.

YIP 4.19.09 Laminaria

Laminaria

1 comment:

Joanne a/k/a Punkin said...

I can't believe that you got that many yards out of 4 oz of roving. Amazing. What is that, 2 ply yarn?